Top tips for drinking more water
You probably already know that drinking water is good for you - but do you still struggle to drink it?
A combination of habit and being too busy is normally the reason for not drinking enough water. People prefer to drink coffee/tea, fizzy drinks, or squash and often find water too bland. Lifestyle also means they often don't/can't actively drink more.
I like to drink plenty of water - being properly hydrated is important for my training, but it also means my body works better, I feel more alert, and if I'm dieting I drop weight better.
Here are my top tips for getting more water into your day:
1. Keep a bottle of water with you at all times - if you have water with you you are more likely to think about drinking it. You'll be surprised at how much more you drink just by doing this.
2. Drink from a smaller bottle - if you are trying to drink 2 litres of water it's psychologically easier to drink four 500ml bottles than to drink a whole two litre bottle.
3. Make your water interesting - put slices of fruit and fresh mint in it. It changes the taste completely and becomes much more interesting. Any fruit is fine. My favourite combination is lemon, lime, cucumber and mint. It's incredibly refreshing.
4. Keep a jug made up in the fridge and every time you open the door pour yourself another glass. You'll be surprised at just how quickly you get through it.
5. Alternate your tea/coffee with glasses of water. You'll cut back on your caffeine intake and you may find you are less hungry. Very often we mistake thirst for hunger - when you are properly hydrated your appetite tends to reduce.